Scientific Collaborator in Research Programs of Foreign Educational Institutions
- Within the framework of the Research program "Investigation of the marine area of Kos-Nisyros for detecting submarine volcanoes" conducted by HCMR, in September 1999 I visited the École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre (ULP-CNRS) at the University of Strasbourg for one week, where I was trained on operating new methods of converting analog lithoseismic recordings of into a digital format, using data of the underwater area of Kos-Nisyros as a pilot. Processing of the lithoseismic sections was part of the research program SEISCAN (Archiving early seismic paper records from deep-water European seas) of the European Commission on Marine Science and Technology.
- As part of the Research Program «GEOWARN» I visited the Osservatorio Vesuviano Napoli (OVNI) (Institute of Geochemistry) Prof. Giovanni Chiodini Vesuvius, in Naples, Italy and the Campi Flegrei in Solfatara where I was informed on matters of volcanic hazard.
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH-Zurich). Institute of Mineralogy and Petrography: Prof. Dr. Volker J. Dietrich & Institute of Cartography: Prof. Dr. Lorenz Hurni. In June 2002, I was at the Institute of Cartography (IST) of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich where I digitized the final geological and morphological slope maps of the area of Kos-Nisyros.
- Dr. Gίlles Lericοlais: Responsable du Laboratoire: "Environnements Sédimentaires". IFREMER, Centre de Brest. Coordinator of the European project ASSEMBLAGE and head of the mission aboard E/V "Le Marion Dufresne2" (28/4-9/5/2004) for the VANIL and ASSEMBLAGE1 survey. I was asked to participate in the oceanographic research and specifically in the mapping of the seafloor using multibeam systems installed on the vessel.
- Prof. Jean Mascle: Directeur de Recherches CNRS "GEOSCIENCES-AZUR" (UMR 6526) Observatoire Océanologique de Villefranche sur mer. Scientific coordinator aboard E/V "Le Marion Dufresne2" (28/4-9/5/2004) for the VANIL and ASSEMBLAGE1 survey.
- Faculty of Geosciences, Dept. of Earth Sciences-Geochemistry, Utrecht University, the Netherlans: Prof. John Woodside. Cooperation during the oceanographic mission of 2003-2004 in the frame of the research program «ANAXIMANDER» and during the analysis of the data at the premises of HCMR. The outcome of this cooperation was the participation in several international conference proceedings and a number of publications on international scientific journals. The area of Anaximander is attractive to oceanographers due to the existence of submarine mud volcanoes that had recently been discovered at that time.
- In the frame of the International Lithosphere Programme, Task II “New tectonic causes of volcano failure and possible premonitory signals” I was invited by Prof. Alessandro Tibaldi, Dept. Geological Science and Geotechnologies και Prof. Frederic Pasqare. Dipartimento di scienzs chimiche e Ambientali, Universita degli Studi dell’insubria, Como as an expert on the morphotectonic structure of the wider area around Nisyros at the University of Milan-Bicocca 27 Junuary-1 Februry 2007. My travel and accommodation expenses were covered by the Italian Ministry of University and Research (MIUR-PRIN). This cooperation also resulted in several publications on international scientific journals and our findings were presented in two international conferences.
- Graduate School of Oceanography, University of Rhode Island, Prof. Haraldur Sigurdsson και Prof. Steve Carey. I participated in the oceanographic mission during May-June 2006 conducted at the volcanic field of Santorini and the submarine volcano Kolumbo, as well as in the on-land geologic field expeditions. I was chosen as a co-leader in the geologic field trip organized in Santorini from the 8th – 22nd of July 2007. The scientific outcome was presented in international conferences a paper was published.
- Institute for Exploration (IFE), Ocean Exploration Trust (OET) and University of Rhode Island (URI) Center for Ocean Exploration and Archaeological Oceanography (COEAO), Prof. Steve Carey (URI), Dr. Robert Ballard (IFE), Katherine Croff Bell (COEAO). Due to the excellent cooperation in my previous oceanographic mission (May 2006) with the administrators of the above mentioned institutes and my specialization on geological oceanography - seafloor topography, I was asked to join as Head of Greek Mission (Co-Chief Scientist 2011) aboard the R / V Nautilus of Ocean Exploration Trust as part of the Research Programs «New Frontiers in Ocean Exploration 2010» and «New Frontiers in Ocean Exploration 2011 » in four oceanographic missions: 1) from the 29th of July till the 13th of August 2010 at Santorini, and 2) from the 3rd to the 8th of October at the area above Kolumbo submarine volcano and from the 9th to the 16th of October at the area SE of Nisyros, 3) from the 1st till the 10th of September 2011 at Santorini and 4) from the 11th till the 24th of September 2011 north of Sicily, Italy. The scientific outcome has been presented in international conferences and there is a number of publications in significant journals.
- Cooperation with the University of Oxford, Prof. David Pyle, Lecturer Tamsin Mather, Prof. Tony Watts, Prof. Philip England, Prof. Barry Parson, the University of Bristol, Prof. Steven Sparks, Lecturer Juliet Biggs and the Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia, sezione di Napoli, Osservatorio Vesuviano, Italy, Prof. Gionani Chiodini, Dr. Stefano Caliro, for the monitoring of Santorini Volcano from the beginning of its unrest until today that it has reverted to a state of inactivity. I was invited at the University of Oxford from the 17th till the 23rd of March 2013, for the completion of the tasks and the planning of future proposals. The outcome of this cooperation was the participation in several international conference proceedings and a number of publications on international scientific journals of high validity like Nature Geoscience.
- Cooperation with the University of Hamburg, Prof. Christian Huebscher on the processing and analysis of seismic profiles and their tectonic interpretation. Exchange and training of post gradual students of the University of Athens and the University of Hamburg in the frame of the program “IKYDA 2013”. The scientific outcome will be announced in international conferences and the related papers are published. Participation Azoren Plateau (Cruise M113) in 2014-2015 with the scientific team of Prof. Hubscher.
- As part of the Research Program «CALDERA 2012» a cooperation with researchers from the IPGP (Institu de Physique du Globe de Paris) France was established, among who Dr. Javier Escartin, Dr. Christine Delpus, Dr. Catherine Mevel and Dr. Manuel Moreira, as well as researchers from Universitat de Girona, Spain, Prof. Pere Ridao, Dr. Rafael Garcia and τον Dr, Rich Camilli, of WHOI (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution) America. Due to the 2011-2012 unrest, underwater pressure gauges and specially designed thermometers were installed within the caldera of Santorini for the first time. In addition, a standalone submersible vehicle was tested. The results of this cooperation have been announced in several international conferences and a number of papers are to be published. Participation in ODEMAR (Oceanic Detachments at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge) cruise with the scientific team of J. Escartin in 2013.
- Cooperation with KAUST (King Abdulan University of Science and Technology) in the frame of the program “RED SEA, Expedition 2013”, Dr. Zenon Batang, Dr. Abdulaziz M. Al-Suwailem. The cold seeps of the coastal were studied and the results of the oceanographic research in Red Sea will be announced in international conferences.
- Cooperation with Prof. David Tappin of BGS (British Geological Survey), Prof. Tim Druit and Dr. Raphael Paris of Clermont Université, Université Blaise Pascal, Laboratoire Magmas et Volcans on the monitoring of the processes of the Minoan eruption. The results of this cooperation are announced in international conferences.
- Cooperation with Assist. Prof. Emilie Hooft and Prof. D. Toomey (University of Oregon) in the framework of 2015-2018 NSF project “PROTEUS”- Crustal magma plumbing of the Santorini volcanic system. The results of this cooperation will be announced in international conferences.
- Cooperation with Prof. Mark Hannington, Dr. Armin Freundt, Dr. Jörg Geldmacher, Dr. Sven Peterson and Dr. Thor H. Hansteen from GEOMAR and Prof. Karsten Haase and Dr. Christoph Beier from Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg in the framework of four scientific projects with R/V POSEIDON in 2017.
- Cooperation with Prof. Malcolm Whitworth and Lecturer Mel Krokos from Univeirity of Portsmouth in the framework of Erasmus+ 2017 project.
© 2015 All rights reserved | Designed by othon@s